Dr. Raj Ambay
Dr. Raj Ambay is a highly skilled, double board certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Raj Ambay is an experienced, double-board certified plastic surgeon who is committed to helping you meet your goals with results that look natural and beautiful. Dr. Ambay believes that honest communication, listening to your needs and concerns and providing thoughtful explanations of what you can expect, are imperative to achieving excellent results. Skilled with a comprehensive array of cosmetic surgery procedures for the face, breasts and body, Dr. Ambay utilizes advanced technologies and techniques to provide you with high standards of care and customized treatment.
Dr. Ambay is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and has been trained and educated at some of the most prestigious institutions in the world, including:
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- The National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Northwestern University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
Dr. Ambay contributes his knowledge and experience to future generations by teaching plastic surgery residents at the University of South Florida. He is also a Faculty Mentor to physicians at Johns Hopkins Medical School.
Dr. Ambay is one of very few plastic surgeons in the central Florida area who has been specially trained in microsurgery and cosmetic surgery. Microsurgical procedures require an extensive degree of precision and accuracy – when these skills are combined with the artistry that is necessary for a plastic surgeon to possess, consistently beautiful results can be achieved.
Distinguished Honors and Leadership
- 2014 Presidents Award, given by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for making a recognized impact in the field of Plastic Surgery.
- Gaspar Anastasi Award for Best Research Paper, which was awarded at the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery’s National Meeting.
- Pfizer Humanities Award for best overall research.
- 2016 Doctor’s Choice Award.
- Named one of America’s Top Doctors in 2015 and 2016 by Castle Connolly.
- Plastic Surgery Research Council
- Senior Residents Conference
- Midwest Society of Plastic Surgeons
Dr. Ambay has held positions with:
- The National Patient Safety Committee
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons National Meeting – Advocacy Committee and Instructional Course Committee
Dr. Ambay has also served as:
- Former Trustee of the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Former board member of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- Member of the physician advisory board of Optum Corporation
- Teacher of plastic surgery residents at the University of South Florida
- Faculty Mentor to physicians at Johns Hopkins
Dr. Ambay has proudly served our nation as a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army Reserve. He was a member of a highly specialized, forward surgical team supporting US Special Operations (Green Beret) in both Iraq and Afghanistan as a field trauma surgeon. While serving in Afgahanistan, Dr. Ambay earned a combat action badge for delivering life saving care to soliders while under the duress of active fire from the enemy. Dr. Ambay is one of only a few multi-faceted surgeons trained in general and trauma surgery, oral surgery and dentistry, and plastic surgery. From his experiences as a member of the U.S. Military, Dr. Ambay has a deep knowledge and understanding of what it means to be passionate, disciplined and dedicated.
Making a Difference
During the initial consultation, Dr. Ambay will explain all aspects of the procedure being considered and answer all questions. His friendly and compassionate attitude can be very helpful with putting patients at ease. Ultimately, Dr. Ambay’s goal during this part of the process is to empower patients with thorough education and a comprehensive overview of what they can expect.
Dr. Ambay understands that many patients are self-conscious or struggle with low self-esteem due to certain aspects of their appearance. He strives to help patients meet their goals with beautiful results, renewing their appearance in addition to their self-confidence.
More About Dr. Raj Ambay
Dr. Ambay is a highly skilled, double board certified plastic surgeon serving Wesley Chapel, Brandon, Lutz, Carrollwood, Zephyrhills, Dade City, Land O Lakes and New Tampa. He specializes in cosmetic surgery of the face, breast and body. Dr. Ambay completed his education and extensive training at world renowned institutions including Harvard University, the Mayo Clinic, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, the National Institutes of Health, Northwestern University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Ambay is one of a select few plastic surgeons in central Florida who has specialized training in microsurgery and cosmetic surgery. By using the precision of a microsurgeon and the artistry of a cosmetic plastic surgeon he delivers beautiful results in breast, body contouring and facial rejuvenation. In addition, Dr. Ambay teaches plastic surgery residents at the University of South Florida and is a faculty mentor to physicians at Johns Hopkins medical school in Baltimore.
As a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army Reserve, Dr. Ambay proudly serves our Nation and has earned combat patches in Iraq and Afghanistan as a member of a specialized, forward and fast moving surgical team. He is one of a select few multi-faceted surgeons trained in plastic surgery, general and trauma surgery, oral surgery and dentistry. As a member of our military, he knows what it means to be dedicated, disciplined and passionate.
Individuals looking for an impeccably trained plastic surgeon in Tampa can consult with Dr. Ambay and take comfort in his warm bedside manner. His friendly, compassionate demeanor puts his patients at ease, while his exceptional surgical skills garner the attention of his colleagues. Foremost during the consultation process he spends time empowering his patients through education. His empathetic nature shines through because he understands that many people struggle with self-esteem due to their physical appearance. From Breast Implants or Liposuction to a full Body Lift after massive weight loss; Dr. Ambay has his patient’s best interest at heart.
Becoming an exceptional plastic surgeon requires many years of training, experience and a keen eye for aesthetics. With this foundation, Dr. Ambay has earned distinguished recognition with the Gaspar Anastasi Award for best research paper at the national meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. He has also earned numerous first place awards at national and regional meetings including the Plastic Research Council, the Midwest Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Senior Residents Conference and the Pfizer Humanities Award for best overall research at the American Medical Association.
In 2012 and 2013, Consumer Research Councils of America voted Dr. Ambay as one of “Americas Top Plastic Surgeons”. He is also listed in the “Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons” by SLD Industries, Inc. He is a nationally recognized and sought after speaker and has delivered more than 700 presentations. He serves on the National Patient Safety Committee, Advocacy Committee and Instructional Course Committee for the national meeting for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He is a former trustee of the American Medical Association (AMA), a former board member of the National Board of Medical Examiners and represents plastic surgeons in the house of medicine at the AMA. He is a member of the physician advisory board of Optum Corporation, which is committed to improving patient safety and health outcomes through a deeper understanding of health data analytics. Dr. Ambay knows that your decision to undergo cosmetic surgery is a very important one. He is committed to making sure you have all the facts needed to make an informed decision. Dr. Ambay and his team accept this responsibility and look forward to helping you look better and feel great!
- Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- United States Army Reserve, Lieutenant Colonel
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD
- University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
- American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
- American Medical Association, Board of Trustees
- National Board of Medical Examiners, Former Board of Directors
- Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Northwestern University, Chicago Illinois
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota (General Surgery)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin (Plastic Surgery)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Physician Scientist Training Program
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas (Microvascular Plastic Surgery)
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Midwest Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Iraqi and Afghanistan Campaign Medals
- Army Commendation Medal
If you would like to learn more about our plastic surgeon and the procedures he offers, or if you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation, please contact Ambay Plastic Surgery today.